The British Geological Survey (BGS) has published a nice new application for iPhone: a geolgical map of Britain called iGeology. It is for free and with the GPS on board the phone you can find out what rock is below your feet.
- Enter a place name or postcode, or locate yourself with your phone's in-built GPS.
- Pinch open to zoom in.
- Tap on the geological map
- What are you standing on? Deposits from an ice age?
- What is the bedrock beneath the superficial deposits?
- Need a more detailed description? Follow the links to the BGS rock name database (Lexicon) and learn about the different rock formations where you are.